President Donald Trump has taken to Twitter to say the USA will not be paying for Harry and Meghan’s security whilst they live in California.
According to sources, a spokesperson for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex has responded by saying, ‘The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no plans to ask the US government for security resources.
‘Privately funded security arrangements have been made.’
I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!US President Donald J Trump
From Wednesday, 1 April, Harry and Meghan are no longer entitled to diplomatic protection as they lose their ‘international protected person’ status once they are no longer senior working members of the British Royal Family?
Maybe the President is respecting Harry and Meghan’s wishes to be ‘financially independent’?
Or not wanting American taxpayers to foot the bill when Harry and Meghan can afford to pay their way, especially when there are so many citizens facing financial hardship due to the coronavirus?
Some would say President Trump’s refusal would be understandable, especially when Harry and Meghan had made disparaging comments in the past.
The Duchess of Sussex has been critical in the past when she described Donald Trump as ‘misogynistic’ and ‘divisive’ leading up to the Presidential Election in 2016.
The former actress had openly supported Hillary Clinton for President and was tempted to move to Canada if he won.
Whilst Prince Harry met the US President during a state visit to the United Kingdom in 2019, Meghan was still on maternity leave after giving birth to their son Archie on 6 May.
Harry had said that the American leader had ‘blood on his hands’ for ignoring climate change during a prank phone call claiming to be teenage activist Greta Thunberg earlier this year.
The Royal Canadian Police had been providing security for Harry and Meghan since November whilst they were classified as ‘internationally protected persons’ whilst living in Vancouver until they stepped back from royal duties.
According to The Sun, the Sussexes left Canada on a private flight just before the border closed.
The Sussexes are said to be living in lockdown near Hollywood, in accordance with coronavirus containment measures in California.
Harry and Meghan’s time as working royals will officially end on Tuesday, 31 March, as they pursue an independent life.
They will no longer be able to use their HRH styles or use Sussex Royal as their brand.
Please support Right Royal Roundup by subscribing for only A$10 per month or A$100 per year (with a $20 saving) by clicking on one of the buttons below.