The United Kingdom, the Commonwealth and communities prepare to come together to celebrate a historic milestone in 2022 – Queen Elizabeth’s Platinum Jubilee.
Queen Elizabeth II is the first monarch in British and Commonwealth history to celebrate 70 years on the throne, after her ascension on 6 February 1952.
However, she is the second monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubille in recent times as the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand marked his two months prior to his death in 2016.
Queen Elizabeth and members of the Royal Family will travel around the United Kingdom to carry out a variety of official engagements to mark this special occasion, leading up to the Platinum Jubilee Weekend in June.
An extended bank holiday, from Thursday, 2 June, to Sunday, 5 June, in the United Kingdom will provide opportunities for communities and people to reflect on Queen Elizabeth’s 70 years of service. whilst celebrating this historic milestone.
Thursday, 2 June
- The Queen’s Birthday Parade (Trooping the Colour) – The traditional parade, with members of the Royal Family on horseback or in carriages, starts at Buckingham Palace, moves along the Mall to Horse Guard’s Parade. The Parade closes with the traditional RAF fly-past, watched by Queen Elizabeth and Members of the Royal Family from the Buckingham Palace balcony.
- Platinum Jubilee Beacons will be lit throughout the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, UK Overseas Territories, and for the first time, in every capital city in Commonwealth countries.
Friday, 3 June
- Service of Thanksgiving for The Queen’s reign to be held at St Paul’s Cathedral.
Saturday, 4 June
- The Derby at Epsom Downs – Queen Elizabeth, accompanied by Members of the Royal Family, will attend this event.
- Platinum Party at the Palace – with some of the world’s biggest entertainment stars to celebrate the most significant and joyous moments from The Queen’s seven decade reign. The BBC will broadcast the event live from Buckingham Palace. UK residents will be invited, in due course, to apply for tickets through a ballot.
Sunday, 5 June
The Big Jubilee Lunch – Share friendship, fun and food with family, friends and neighbours as part of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations, with The Big Lunch providing tips and ideas on how to host a street party, a picnic, tea and cake or a garden barbeque.
The Platinum Jubilee Pageant – will take place against the backdrop of Buckingham Palace and the surrounding streets, featuring over 5,000 people from across the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth. It will combine street arts, theatre, music, circus, carnival and costume and celebrate the service of Queen Elizabeth’s reign, as well as honouring the service of people and communities across the country.
More information on other celebratory events across the UK and around the Commonwealth to be advised in due course.
Please support Right Royal Roundup by subscribing for only A$10 per month or A$100 per year (with a $20 saving) by clicking on one of the buttons below.