Four-month-old Prince Charles of Luxembourg was baptised on Saturday, 19 September 2020, at the church of the Abbey of Saint Maurice de Clervaux.
Due to the coronavirus, only the Grand Ducal Family and the Hereditary Grand Duchess’ siblings, their spouses and children attended the baptism.
The Hereditary Grand Duchess’ sister, Countess Gaëlle de Lannoy, was chosen as Prince Charles godmother, and the Hereditary Grand Duke’s younger brother, Prince Louis, as Godfather.
Little Prince Charles wore the Nassau Family’s traditional lace christening gown which had been worn by the Grand Duke, Princess Marie-Astrid, Prince Jean and Prince Guillaume.
The baptismal candle was created at Käerzefabrik in Heiderscheid, an artisanal candle factory located in the north of the Grand Duchy.
Archbishop of Luxembourg Cardinal Jean-Claude Hollerich and Abbot of the Abbey of Clervaux Reverend Father Dom Michel Jorrot presided over the Baptismal Mass.
The Fathers of the Abbey of Clervaux and the Brothers of Verbum Spei provided the musical accompaniment during the service.
See the video highlights.
Grand Ducal Baby
Prince Charles Jean Philippe Joseph Marie Guillaume was born at 5.13 am on Sunday, 10 May 2020, in the Maternité Grande-Duchess Charlotte in Luxembourg.
He is currently second in line to the Grand Ducal throne, following his father Prince Guillaume.
The Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg
- Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa
- Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie and Prince Charles.
- Prince Félix and his wife, Princess Claire, and their two children, Princesse Amalia and Prince Liam.
- Prince Louis
- Prince Sébastian
Members of the de Lannoy Family
- The Count and Countess Jehan de Lannoy, with their children
- The Count and Countess Christian de Lannoy, and their children
- Mrs John Hamilton, née Comtesse Nathalie de Lannoy
- The Countess Gaëlle de Lannoy
- The Count and Countess Amaury de Lannoy
- The Count and Countess Olivier de Lannoy and their children
- Mr and Mrs Jean-Charles de le Court – Countess Isabelle de Lannoy and their children.
The Abbey of St Maurice of Clervaux
The Abbey of St Maurice of Clervaux was founded in 1901 when the monks from the Abbey of St Maur of Glanfeuil were forced to leave France following the introduction of anti-clerical laws during the Third Republic.
They found refuge in Baronville in Belgium, before searching for a more permanent home, until they found Clervaux in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
The monks voted in 1908 to dissolve the existing monastery and found a new one, dedicated to St Maurice, a 3rd-Century saint.
The Benedictine monks built the neo-Romanesque Abbey in 1909 to 1910.
The present monks devote their lives to prayer and to work, whether it is intellectual or manual.
They meet seven times a day for services.
A photographic exhibition is on display in the crypt, presenting the life and work of the Benedictine monks.
A souvenir shop sells a selection of books and various art objects for visitors.
Please support Right Royal Roundup by subscribing for only A$10 per month or A$100 per year (with a $20 saving) by clicking on one of the buttons below.