The Danish Royal Court announced a significant deterioration in Prince Henrik’s health, following reports he was in hospital last week.
Crown Prince Frederik, in South Korea for the Winter Olympics, is on his way home instead of attending the Opening Ceremony at PyeongChang.
The Crown Prince, a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), attended the 132nd session held from 5 to 7 February.
He attended the Winter Olympics to watch the various sporting events and to cheer the Danish team.
According to reports, Prince Henrik’s brother Étienne de Monpezat said he was waiting for the latest news as he knew his brother was not well, before flying to Denmark.
‘It seems to be a matter of weeks.’
Prince Henrik had been admitted to Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen since Sunday, 28 January 2018.
Doctors ran tests for a tumour in Prince Henrik’s left lung but it proved to be benign.
The Danish Royal Court had said in a statement on 2 February that Prince Henrik will be transferred to another ward for treatment for a pulmonary infection before returning home to Fredensborg Castle.
Prince Henrik was diagnosed last year with dementia in late 2017
A specialist team at Rigshospitalet made the diagnosis after a long investigation and a series of examinations during the late summer months.
The diagnosis implies a decline in the Prince’s cognitive functional level, which is greater than usual, according to Rigshospitalet, due to the Prince’s age. This can be accompanied by changes in behaviour, reaction patterns, judgement and emotional life, and may also affect interaction with other people.
As a result, Prince Henrik, aged 83, will be reducing his activities, including patronages and honorary memberships, although he retired from public life last year and renouncing his title of Prince Consort.
Prince Henrik had retired from public duties in 2016 and he caused controversy last month by refusing to be buried at Roskilde Cathedral alongside his wife and her predecessors.